Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Passenger Car Paint Schemes

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Passenger Car Paint Schemes
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:42:38 +1300
There's a full article on "simulated fluting" (often referred to as
"shadow-lining") in Burlington Bulletin #15.  The Burlington was not the
first to employ it - the Santa Fe was using it in 1947 - but probably used
it more extensively than any other steam road. The reason was to supplement
the lightweight car fleet utilising old cars painted to look like
lightweights (or to look less like heavyweights).

Amongst the first cars so painted were the rebuilt suburban service
coach-power cars #7300-7313 in 1950. In addition, RPO's, baggage-RPO's,
diners, Pullmans, office cars, and coaches were painted with this scheme,
together with C&S and FW&D chair cars - a total of at least 60 cars.  By the
late 1950's, it was decided to discontinue the practice as it was costly to
apply (very labour intensive) and didn't weather very well, especially with
the effect of the car washers, and many of the cars were then painted with
"plain" aluminum paint.

The latest shadow lined car photo I've come across is of sleeper (ex crew
dorm) #657 (ex Clover Camp) stored at Chicago in 1963.

Hope this helps

Rupert