Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Green Pre-Merger Paint Scheme

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Green Pre-Merger Paint Scheme
From: John Lee <BNJohn@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:08:45 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jeff,
The list your talking about was put together by my good friend George Rust and
my self, George passed away last November, most of the original research paper
work that he and I did is now at my house and some day I hope to put in all in
book form. I too have a pile like that, it has now moved from one side of the
basement to the other eating everything in it's path.

John Lee
St. Louis, MO

jworones <jworones@yahoo.com> wrote:
Somewhere in my stash of RR goodies is a blueprint of the painting
guide for the SD45. Lists the original paint code. I'll dig for it
this weekend - actually I'm developing a fear of that pile. I think
it's starting to breathe on it's own...

Any way, bought it off eBay, too pristine to be original, so my guess
it's a redraw of the original. The guy still sells them regularly
along with other Q blueprints. Search "CB&Q (or Burlington)
blueprint" and something should pop up. If that doesn't work, search
the completed auctions. I know he had one up there recently. (note
that the only involvement I have with this product is that I
purchased one - I have nothing to gain by mentioning it and your
results may vary)

Yes, the GP40 did have the BN logo on it. There is a Burlington
Bulletin from late 1968 with it on the cover, meaning it was probably
painted during the summer of '68.

Has anyone contacted DuPont? There was an employee there who was a
rail and aircraft fan and produced a log of every color used by the
railroad or airline. I have the list for the Rock Island. Lists all
the paint types and number for each color. Quite impressive.
According to the list, the red and Imitation Aluminum color in the
RI "Rocket" scheme are the same used on the Q.
He has since passed away, but the list is still available if you call
the customer service line and ask nicely.

I too purchased some Kato SD45's to paint in the pre-merger scheme.
Ah, the joys of procrastination...
Now I can sell them on eBay and pay for the decorated P2K units!
Now if I can ever finish painting that U23C...

Jeff Worones
Las Vegas, NV

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: