Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Green Pre-Merger Paint Scheme

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Green Pre-Merger Paint Scheme
From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:05:50 -0600
At 11:48 AM 12/30/2003, "jobbox123" <jobbox123@...com> wrote:

>Where can I find further information on modeling this scheme ?
>I am interested in the correct lettering scheme and paint colors - is
>the green identical to BN cascade green ? Also, is there a
>record/roster of which units had this scheme applied ?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````
If you check the archives from many months ago you will see a discussion on
this color as I was trying to verify on this, as well as other lists, just
exactly what shade of green this was.  I am sure I had read someplace once upon
a time that it was NOT the same color of green which was adopted by BN
eventually which they called Cascade Green.  I even have a couple photos which
seem to bear this out.  Unfortunately, I never was able to nail this down
conclusively from ANY source and the consensus was that anything and
everything, from the type of film used, to weathering, the time of day, etc.
would all contribute to making the green look different.  Personally, I still
believe it was a slightly yellowish tint of green, but as I say I was unable to
prove it.

Having said all that, first off, the two units which were delivered in this
pre-merger green/white hockey stick scheme were the SD-45's (#'s 516-530,
delivered in 2/69), and the U23-C's delivered in, if my info is correct, 4/69).
 BTW, there is a Model Flex paint number given, called pre-merger green, at the
BRHS webpage <http://www.burlingtonroute.com/>
On the left click on Modelers Depot, then on Paint Shop, and scroll down to it
for the number.  I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it is the ONLY
thing I had been able to find which even mentioned a pre-merger green (which
implied it was not the same color as BN green).

As far as the Green applied to the GP-40 Mike Spoor mentioned in the photo in
his book, and provided by Marion Brasher (whose name unfortunately Mike
mis-spells in his post AND in the book - Marion is a good friend of mine living
down the road a couple miles from me.), I don't know if it is the same
pre-merger green shade as what the SD-45's and U-23C's were or not.  They were
painted at ElectroMotive, the 40 was (re)painted by Burlington, IIRC.  This is
the unit, #629, as seen in Marion's photo and printed in Mike's book.

Finally, the reason I was trying to find all this out was because I had an
undec. pair of Kato SD-45's in HO I wanted to be painted as accurately as
possible in this pre-merger scheme.  I finally entrusted the job to Mr. Robert
Harpe of Savanah, GA.  I feel he did a terrific job and though I gave him the
Society's recommended paint number from the website, we went back and forth so
much on the "correct" shade of green to use, when I received the engines back
from him I didn't have the heart to even ask what he eventually used, as I'm
sure he was quite sick about hearing any more on the "proper" shade of green!
They are what they are, and IMO look GREAT!  Of course now that I have had
these especially painted, since no manufacturer would do a paint scheme which
was only used for a short time, on only one railroad, on only two engines --
Right?  WRONG, I just recently saw the Life Like, P2K, SD-45 in green and black
paint, with the white hockey stick paint at my LHS last week.  D'oh!  Why
couldn't they have done the U-Boat instead?!

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

~ If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait! He
does! ~

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: