Re: [BRHSlist] Silver Charger

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Silver Charger
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:17 -0600
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:32:51 -0500, Duncan Cameron wrote
> Have come across a model of Silver Charger plus three cars imported
> by Hallmark and produced by KTM.  Not sure how old it would be.  Can
> anyone comment on quality of this model re. detail and running
characteristics?
> Duncan Cameron

What are you thinking, Duncan??????  (a couple of e-slaps to the face) . . .
9908 never ran through Keokuk on a scheduled basis, as far as I know . . .

But the Hallmark stuff was pretty tacky by modern standards.  I had one of
Bobbye's E-5s once, and the eitched "corrugated" sides were shallow single-
level etching, while the nose was a rather crude and badly-scaled plated
brass casting.  IIRC, the Gen'l Pershing was imported in the late '80s -

Just for giggles & grins, the first HO shovel nose I'm aware of was
manufactured by Sampson shortly after WW II.  They had tooled up to extrude
aluminum Budd bodies from aluminum (a process later adopted by the pre-Tyco
Mantua), and offered a Budd baggage car with a cast-potmetal "shovelnose" to
make an approximate "Silver Charger" (although they didn't call it
that) . . .

Anyone else know an earlier HO shovel nose?

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511