Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Don't stop now.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Don't stop now.
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:04:46 -0800 (PST)
What you describe is called "plugging", an electric
motor. It is very destructive as, in theory, the
plugging current, (measured in amps) is TWICE the
running current. Some electrical motor control
circuits (mostly for dc motors) have "anti-plugging"
relays to prevent this practice. The name comes from
the old steam engine procedure of stopping by
"horseing over" the reverse lever. That didn't hurt
the steam engine one bit.
John

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511