RE: [BRHSlist] Don't stop now.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Don't stop now.
From: "gpcom" <taceys@gpcom.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:06:51 -0600
Dynamic brakes work by turning the motors into generators through a resistor
grid. This principle is used on many types of equipment including large
overhead cranes. The wheels become the prime mover for the motor acting as a
generator and the electrical load applied
by the resistors applies mechanical load to the wheels causing a braking
action without using mechanical or friction brakes, thus there is no brake
wear.