Re: [BRHSlist] Don't stop now.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Don't stop now.
From: "George William \(Bill\) Newport" <gwnewport2@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:06:57 -0800 (PST)
The engineers controls isolate the electrical power of the generator if I
remember correctly,
I have never had the pleasure of running one big enough or modern enough to
have dynamic braking,
the traction motors being turned by the wheels that they are connected to fed
power back into the system and it is in turn fed into resistor banks, not the
phaser banks like on the Enterprise on Startrek, the more electrical resistance
the engineer adds by advanceing the control the harder it is to turn the
traction motors which slows the train down, some, brakes also are used along
with dynamic, you do not knock off the brakes, you leave some brake on and do
not reduce braking when you use dynamic, dynamic will not stop a train but just
slow it down, the dynamics effectiveness decreases as the train slows, and you
would not normally use dynamics on the level or uphill, just in the downhill
travel, the generator is directly connected to the flywheel of the diesel so it
always turns the same way as long as the diesel is running whether or not the
generator is what they call on line, when the generator is working and making
power to turn the traction motors it is called loading up, so
 you have two complete and different circuits in a locomotive with dynamics,
the resistors build up a lot of heat absorbing electrical power and are large
and located in the top of the locomotive body where they can be cooled without
adding any heat to the operation of the diesel, there is a separate system
charging generator which keeps the batteries up to voltage and the electrical
controls are opeated by the secondary sixty-four volts to handle the main
generators output, the number that comes to mind is six hundred volts of main
generator output, this way the large main generator output is not running
through the controls that the engineer has to handle to operate the train but
the smaller sixty-four which is a lot compared to a automobile, but safer that
way, if that is unclear or I have misrepresented the facts because of short
term memory loss from head injuries from military parachuting there should be
someone out there who will say, hey, stupid, you got that wrong

wollffee <wolfee@onebox.com> wrote:
OK, next question. How do dynamic brakes work? Does the diesel have
to be turning the generator in order for them to work? Does it turn
the generator backwards? Please keep in mind that I am the kind of
guy that has to call an electrician to change light bulbs so don't
tell me all kinds of complicated stuff, ok?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511