Re: [BRHSlist] How do you start a GP-7 locomotive?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] How do you start a GP-7 locomotive?
From: "George William \(Bill\) Newport" <gwnewport2@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:39:19 -0800 (PST)

zephyr9903 <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net> wrote:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:16:42 -0800 (PST), tim fleck wrote
> With a Key..........
> --- wollffee wrote:
> > Actually, I never saw one turned off. But, if it
> > was, how did it
> > start? Electric motor? Air compressor? 3 guys
> > with a big rope?
> > What? Are modern ones the same as the old ones?
As I recall, all EMD diesels were equipped with starter motors - note on a
model that you'll see weatherproof electrical sockets where a dead battery
could be recharged/jump-started. Most Q GP-7s (and some SWs) were equipped with
engine compartment heaters (located in front of the right-side cab) to keep the
crankcase oil from assuming the consistency of road tar . . .
As noted, diesels were seldom turned off between overhauls . . . . .
Marshall Thayer

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511