[BRHSlist] re: meal stops

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: meal stops
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:18:53 -0500
Bcc:
MY son Lee was enjoying the messages re: crews stopped for beans and shared
one of his own. Am reprinting here as occurred last yr on the CZ route: "But
the neat thing is that even in today's changed world I still have my own
little "dinner" story as a passenger even!  You might remember my telling
you about the return trip from San Francisco on the California Zephyr with
Brian (2002).  We had heard great things about the "Red Fish" restaurant
adjoining Denver Union Station and knew that there would be a brief 15 to 20
minute layover in
  Denver for a crew change and refueling.  We decided to give our creative
plan a shot and passed up on our opportunity to have
  dinner in the dining car that evening...if things didn't work out, we
wouldn't have dinner at all.  Several hours out of Denver while
  moving through the Rockies, we used a cell phone to call information and
eventually connect with the Red Fish...even with the
  unpredictable cellphone signal.  At that point, we were already 90 minutes
behind schedule and we used our best conservative
  guess as to how late the CZ would be pulling into Denver and order steak
dinners to be ready "to go" upon our arrival.  It was a
  tough as we didn't want to come in early and not have our meals
ready...but then we didn't want our meals waiting several hours
  either.  It turns out that our estimate of 2 1/2 hours late was right on.
As we pulled in to Denver Union Station around 10pm, we
  jumped off the train and ran over to the Red Fish...sure enough...there
were some large steak dinners waiting for us...fresh off the
  grill and ready to go.  We paid, grabbed our meals, ran back to the
station and hopped on the Superliner with about 5 minutes to
  spare...and to the envy of everyone in our coach, we enjoyed what was one
of the best steak dinners I've ever had!!  Not bad for
  making arrangements while on Amtrak in the middle of the Rockies!   So
feel free to call the Red Fish feeling adventuresome on the CZ!"

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573