Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Commercial Post - Grain doors & load in HO scale

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Commercial Post - Grain doors & load in HO scale
From: "Robert Sorensen" <rksmes@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:08:25 -0500
Pete and Others:
One thing I remember from the days that I worked in the grain industry was
that we could drop into an elevator silo that was almost full and check for
water leaks between the sides and roof.  But, while we could do that with
barley, you could not do so with flax because you would slip down and drown!
I learned this from our friends in the flax operation "next door" while we
were exchanging ideas about catching at least a few of the mice.

In regards to unloading box cars, we had a Stephenson-Adamson (sp?) grain
unloader.  It was a strange beast that had lots of scissors-like extensions
and would reach into the car, turn either left or right and extend to the
end.  The operator then could drop a scoop and retract, pulling the barley
back to the door where it would fall into the hopper that led to the
elevator leg.  The operator was in a seat close to the scoop where he could
see and it had a set of  lights.  It used a very special wire rope and the
millwrights hated to replace a worn cable.
I also remember the exterminator we used telling us that there were as many
rats living in the GN Union Yard as there were people in Minneapolis.  They
feasted on the grain that leaked from boxcars.