Re: [BRHSlist] re: grain doors

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: grain doors
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:15:02 -0500
Pete,

I don't know why. I would have more faith in a plywood lined
stock car that one of those miserable door and a half box cars
that they tried to foist off on their shippers. Half the time the
metal channel on the edge of the welded shut plug door did not
even had a piece of wood inside it which made the car very
difficult to cooper.

Since the shipper did the plywood lining in exchange for having
exclusive use of the cars they did do a decent job.  IIRC the
MILW door and a halves that FUGTA paid to have renovated
had the lining continue right up to the edge of the sliding door
as if there was no plug door even present.

It is interesting to note that the last two BN 40' boxcar programs
were fed by door and a halves. In the case of the 199xxx's they got
a single sliding door; the 200xxx's got double sliding doors.
Those door and a half cars were equaled by the "grain doors"
in the 50' plug door cars built at Havelock. I think they were
welding them shut while the car series was still being built.

Russ