[BRHSlist] Dispatcher Recordings

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Dispatcher Recordings
From: <gnkid@icehouse.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:07:24 -0700
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate the nice words about the CD's.  For some reason, most of the
people on the GNGOAT group are giving these a yawn.  This really puzzles me.  I
also mentioned these on the NP and SP&S and Milwaukee lists, and the N-scale and
the HO-scale lists, and pretty much the same.  Very discouraging, knowing all
the railroading history that people are missing.  I'm getting a much better
response from you guys back east.

Hearing these is like opening a time capsule and taking a look back at how
railroading really operated in the previous generation.  I made these tapes when
I was 6, 12, and 13, and hung on to them for dear life for the next 40 years.
Many who inquire about the CD's seem to be younger people who can't quite
understand that this is not, for the most part, a collection of radio
transmissions.

I'm mostly a GN man, and apologize for not being very knowledgable about the
CB&Q aside from its financial relationship with the GN and that it was one of
the big four in the original merger.  But it's fun to know that others like you
can relate to what you hear on these CD's.

Let's see if any old-timers can relate to this!  At Scenic, the west portal of
the Cascade Tunnel, we had to be very careful with the headset.  Because of the
higher altitude, 2200 feet, the dispatcher phone line tended to build up a
static charge at times, probably because of the higher dielectric constant of
the air at that altitude, and every once in a while it would spontaneously
discharge without warning.  This would be manifested in the headset by a hideous
powerful sharp POP.  One learned quickly to wear the headset above the ear a
little, just enough to be able to hear the dispatcher while typing, but so that
if a pop occurred it would not be quite as ear-damaging.  My dad has severe
hearing loss in his left ear now because of this.  I'd be interested to know if
any other locations ever had this problem, or if was just peculiar to the GN
Cascade Division.

For those who decide to bite on this offer, it will be very helpful when you
receive your package to read the enclosed paper FIRST, then pop in the diskette
and read the transcripts as you listen.  Most of your questions will probably be
answered that way.  I'm sending off two samples now for any inquiries.

Have fun!

Tom Garrett

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.