[BRHSlist] re: grain doors

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: grain doors
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:08:01 -0500
Bcc:
Tks for responses fellows.  I got hold of Signode & even though it's been
approx 20 yrs since they sold "grain doors" they found some old literature
which thet are sending me.  Since our group ranges from new-comers to the
hobby to grizzled vet's, here's a few basics on grain doors as used by the
Burlington & other "granger" RR's.

As messages have stated, when loading 40' box cars with grain (pre-covered
hopper days and even thereafter on branch lines that could not handle 100
ton hoppers or at least the elevator sidings couldn't), the doors to a box
car would either be locked open or in some cases removed.  A new "door"
would be constructed using scrap lumber, especially pallet grade such as
cottonwood OR "paper" doors with banding such as Signode'a.  These "doors",
whether wood or "Signode" paper with banding would cover 3/4 of the door
opening allowing the elevators to drop in grain above the opening and fill
the car to its limit (limits were stencilled on inside of such box cars with
a line and the word soybean, corn, oats, etc with lines at different levels
for different grains as they varied by weigh).  I have a good slide of such
an interior with the markings clearly showing.  Grain is heavy enough that a
40 ton box would reach its limit without filling the car competely - little
more than 1/2 way in some cases.

Signode (& another major competitor who's name I will acquire soon) did not
mfg paper grain doors per se but did mfg banding/strapping - something
Signode still does.  Learned the actual mfg of this heavy kraft paper was
Thilmany Pulp & Paper of Kaukauna, Wis which shipped same to Signode @ their
Chicago-area whse where they were packaged with the necessary Signode-made
banding and shipped to RR's. (as Russ noted: via C&NW on the N side of
Proviso).   However it appears Thilmany also shipped direct to RR's and/or
elevators and they may have used an odd reporting mark box car which is what
got this thread going.  Will learn soon as have a call into Thilmany which
like Signode still is in business.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!