Re: [BRHSlist] re: grain doors

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: grain doors
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:32:11 EDT
If you want to see actual loading of grain into a boxcar rent or watch the
movie PICNIC...not the new corrupted version, but the 1953 version with Kim
Novak and William Holden.

The opening scene is a UP local coming into town with a GP7...brakeman gets
off etc..sound sounds authentic to me.

A couple of scenes show 40 boxcars with spout in  and graindoors in place.

A few years ago..not ;many...at one of our local railfans club meetings
someone, probably me was talking about grain in boxcars...One of the young guys
said..."How could you possibly load grain in a boxcar"??......time goes fast
when
you're havin fun.

In one of the very few instances of railroad cooperation in the late 50's or
early 60's the Freight Claim Agents of all roads got together and decided that
they would not pay loss claims on "clear record"  ie no visibile leakage
covered hopper cars....They were still holding fast when I left the claim
business
in 1972.....

Grain door leaks were a common cause of loss in boxcar shipments and claims
were usually compromised on the basis that the RR furnished the doors and the
shipper did the actual coopering.

Pete

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511