Re: [BRHSlist] 1898 CB&Q equipment

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 1898 CB&Q equipment
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:33:51 -0600
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:21:34 -0500, Virginia Edgar wrote

(and then Marshall Thayer intersperses comments, questions & speculations)

> Was rummaging thru an 1898 Official Equipment Register and gleaned
> the following for those of you who model the real "old" days or want
> something in a junk yard or sitting on the ground as a storage
> "building" decades later:
>
> There were 3 hearse cars (modified 30' box cars) #10000-10002

It's not too likely these were literally "hearse cars" in the sense we've
seen on interurban lines, which often had direct access between one or more
funeral homes and the outlying burial grounds (so probably no black paint or
special decoration) - most likely just for shipment of coffined remains in
the way that baggage cars were later used - . . . anyone ever seen photos?

> There were also 2 special box cars (dimensions not given) modified
> for gun powder - #1 & 2

Any indication what modifications were made?  Could they have been metal-
sheathed like the Civil War period B&O cars (one of which shows up in "The
Great Locomotive Chase"?

> Stock cars included "Palace", horse and double deck.

The "Palace" designation on stock cars at that time generally referred to
built-in feed & watering provisions.  Externally, these provisions could
often be spotted by horizontal sheathing (no slat spaces) below the roof.
The BB on stock cars had pix of these:  They even had bold black lettering
stating "Palace Stock Car" along the yellow-painted band.  The MDC "old time
stock car" has this sheathing, and would make a fair stand-in . . . any
interest in a decal set for these cars?

> Among the coal cars (gons) were 2 for Harvey Iron Co. - #80501 & 80502
>
> Reefers included Ayers, Keystone, Hamilton, Wickes, Zimmerman & Tiffany
> models and 6 "Baggage & Fruit" cars #40015-40020
>
> One passenger car was listed in "freight" as was a grain car fitted with
> bunks = #2733 (a box car number series)
>
> Box cars - the following 34' in the 18000-21505 and 25000-28521 were
> also lettered for R. T. Davis Milling Co. of St. Joe, MO: #18040,
>  18946, 20095, 20192, 20195, 20317, 25973 to 26002 inclusive - a
> total of 36.  KCStJ&CB also had cars marked for Davis Milling: 800,
>  852, 940, 1374, 1442 & 1496.
>
> CB&KC had some flats 1, 3, 5 & 7 lettered for Pfeiffer Stone (assume
> was for cut rock, maybe granite?)

In the midwest, cut limestone would probably be more likely -

 and 20 ton coal cars lettered for Hannibal

--
Iowa Telecom WebMail (http://www.iowatelecom.net)

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20.
Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM