Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Proposed Steam - "D-8"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Proposed Steam - "D-8"
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:28:06 -0600
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:03:15 -0500, Charlie Vlk wrote
> > Interesting, did it perchance look close to the 2-8-0 that came out
> > awhile ago?
>
> Not really.  The Bachmann loco has 63" drivers; the proposed hog has
> 52" drivers....the same as a USRA 0-8-0. It does have a little more
> modern architecture than the D-4s but looks more like them than any
> other road's power. Inside steam delivery pipe cylinders, outside
> valve gear (can't tell the type by the drawing), double window cab
> as used on the D-4s.  Interestingly, the drawing shows a detail for
> an alternate diamond stack, as was applied to the D-4s for spark abatement.
> Charlie Vlk

"Fascinating", as Mr. Spock would say . . . wasn't the diamond stack a pre-
extended-smokebox adaptation for lignite burning?

And the reference to inside delivery steampipes also brings up some
thoughts.  Are we also talking inside piston valves a la R-4/5 and S-1/S-2?
If so, we'd also be looking at a "couldabeen" D-8A rebuild in the '20s qith
outside valves -

As my Vulcan personality remarked - "Fascinating, Captain!"

Marshall Thayer
Timewarp, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM