[BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Proposed Steam

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Proposed Steam
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:23:51 -0500
The recent discussion about the architecture of Burlington O class Mikados
and the article in the current Classic Trains about the proposed Wabash
2-10-4s based mostly on the Q/B&LE locos brings to mind a topic for
discussion and further research.....
I think that one of the many things I think made Hol's The Colorado Road
book so outstanding was the section on proposed but never built power.

I have in my collection some CB&Q proposal drawings covering the following:
Conversion of D4A 2-8-0 to O class 2-8-2
Conversion of P-2 4-4-2 to K class 4-6-0
Conversion of R-3 2-6-2 to S class 4-6-2
Conversion of R-5 2-6-2 to S class 4-6-2
Proposed D-8 2-8-0 locomotive

In talking to Joe Douda many years ago he mentioned that there were also
proposals to build additonal O-5 locomotives.  These would have been equpped
with tenders similar to the type used behind the M-4 Colorado locomotives.
Also, there
were proposed conversions of M1 and M2 locomotives to Colorado 2-10-4 types.

If we could gather enough of this type of material it might make a great
Bulletin subject......

On the diesel side the use of the FM H10-44 at Western Avenue (someone in
the Society has copies of or remembers seeing the AFE for the fuel used
during the demonstration period) and the proposed Trainmasters for
Suburbanaire Service would be nice to document.  We already have the early
proposed Shovelnose versions of the E5 drawings to add and there must be
other proposals (PAs???.....the experiments with gas electrics arranged for
push-pull service on either end of a string of open end commuter cars...)
that would create a nice diesel section for such an article....
For that matter is there anyone in the Society that has knowledge of the
AFEs or documentation on them?  Or did the NP boys destroy all the history
up in St.Paul???  The AFEs (Authority For Expenditure) is an important
aspect of the functioning of the railroad that has not been documented in
any railroad society publication to my knowledge.
Charlie Vlk

PS-  And speaking of the Wabash, what was the connection with the Q that
caused them to have R class Prairie copies (that did undergo the conversion
from 2-6-2 to 4-6-2, by the way) and 2-10-2s that look ALOT like the M class
locos????

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM