Re: [BRHSlist] Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?
From: Paul Kossart <kozys@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:51:25 -0500
At 12:10 AM 8/3/2003, "Bob Weber" <eng95@..t.net> wrote:

>I have MSTS and the 'other' train simulator 'Trainz' from Auran.  MSTS is a
>train simulator whose strong point is simulating running trains.  However, it
>is a real bear to create new rolling stock, scenery or scenery objects for.
>Trainz, on the other hand, is a model train simulator whose strong point is
>creating model layouts, rolling stock, scenery and scenery objects.  Editors
>for all of these functions are included.  Trainz provides views from the cab,
>from dome cars or waycars as well as allowing you to plant cameras along your
>routes, wherever you want them.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Bob,

Your assessment of these two pieces of software is right on, in my opinion.
There is something about each I like AND don't like.  I wasn't sure exactly
what it was but you've pretty much hit it on the head - MSTS is skewed toward
running *trains*, whereas Trainz is more operationally oriented, easier to see
position of turnouts, switch cars, identify sidings by name, etc.

My intention isn't to get into a Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) vs Trainz
discussion, but another thing I like about Trainz (and I haven't *played*
enough with MSTS to know if it also does this or something similar), is that
you build the railroad in a modular fashion on 1:1 tiles of roughly 1/2 mile
square, IIRC.  And then you can link each module to the proceeding ones and go
in any direction/configuration you want to expand the route, I guess, pretty
much as far as you want to take it, or add to an existing, operational one,
too.  Pretty cool...and versatile.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM