Re: [BRHSlist] Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 00:58:25 -0700
  From: Paul Kossart
  To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:51 PM

  At 12:10 AM 8/3/2003, "Bob Weber" <eng95@..t.net> wrote:

  >I have MSTS and the 'other' train simulator 'Trainz' from Auran.  MSTS is a
train simulator whose strong point is simulating running trains.  However, it
is a real bear to create new rolling stock, scenery or scenery objects for.
Trainz, on the other hand, is a model train simulator whose strong point is
creating model layouts, rolling stock, scenery and scenery objects.  Editors
for all of these functions are included.  Trainz provides views from the cab,
from dome cars or waycars as well as allowing you to plant cameras along your
routes, wherever you want them.

  '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  Bob,

  Your assessment of these two pieces of software is right on, in my opinion.
There is something about each I like AND don't like.  I wasn't sure exactly
what it was but you've pretty much hit it on the head - MSTS is skewed toward
running *trains*, whereas Trainz is more operationally oriented, easier to see
position of turnouts, switch cars, identify sidings by name, etc.

  My intention isn't to get into a Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) vs Trainz
discussion, but another thing I like about Trainz (and I haven't *played*
enough with MSTS to know if it also does this or something similar), is that
you build the railroad in a modular fashion on 1:1 tiles of roughly 1/2 mile
square, IIRC.  And then you can link each module to the proceeding ones and go
in any direction/configuration you want to expand the route, I guess, pretty
much as far as you want to take it, or add to an existing, operational one,
too.  Pretty cool...and versatile.

  Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511