[BRHSlist] Re: Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Is there a MS Train Sim genius here?
From: "qhogger" <qhogger@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:27:08 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, Paul Kossart <kozys@i...> wrote:
> At 12:10 AM 8/3/2003, "Bob Weber" <eng95@....> wrote:
>
> >I have MSTS and the 'other' train simulator 'Trainz' from Auran.
MSTS is a train simulator whose strong point is simulating running
trains.  However, it is a real bear to create new rolling stock,
scenery or scenery objects for.  Trainz, on the other hand, is a
model train simulator whose strong point is creating model layouts,
rolling stock, scenery and scenery objects.  Editors for all of these
functions are included.  Trainz provides views from the cab, from
dome cars or waycars as well as allowing you to plant cameras along
your routes, wherever you want them.

> '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
> Bob,
>
> Your assessment of these two pieces of software is right on, in my
opinion.  There is something about each I like AND don't like.  I
wasn't sure exactly what it was but you've pretty much hit it on the
head - MSTS is skewed toward running *trains*, whereas Trainz is more
operationally oriented, easier to see position of turnouts, switch
cars, identify sidings by name, etc.

> My intention isn't to get into a Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS)
vs Trainz discussion, but another thing I like about Trainz (and I
haven't *played* enough with MSTS to know if it also does this or
something similar), is that you build the railroad in a modular
fashion on 1:1 tiles of roughly 1/2 mile square, IIRC.  And then you
can link each module to the proceeding ones and go in any
direction/configuration you want to expand the route, I guess, pretty
much as far as you want to take it, or add to an existing,
operational one, too.  Pretty cool...and versatile.

> Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

Group:

First let me say I have no experience with Trainz, but some++ with
MSTS. I have to disagree that MSTS is not operationally oriented.
This depends upon the creativity of the route designer and/or the
activity creator. Although I am a Q and Rock fan, I purchased the
Tehachapi Pass Route II from 3Dtrainstuff. You can make long mailine
runs, or locals with a ton of switching. Even if you are not a
ATSF/BNSF fan, its a nice route. (granted there are a bunch of
others - Maple Leaf, SandPatch, CSX...) Just wanted to point out that
you usually have a bunch of activies to choice from.(Mainline
freight, passenger, switching) Don't like the ones that come with a
route, learn the activity editor and make your own!

I personally am working on a route CRIP from Silvis Ill to Layfayette
Ill. Route went thru my home town of Galva, Ill. (so did the mailine
and a branch of the CB&Q) Plan on siming this. In fact, i've gone a
little "nuts" and mapped the Q from Chicago to Ottumwa IA. Also Q
from Galesburg to Peoria, Galesburg to up by the quad cities, Q from
Galva to New Boston And the Rock from Chicago to Silvis. (this means
I know where the track went and have created "markers" that are
displayed in the MSTS Route Editor) I also have extracted the DEM
data (digital elevation module) in English, this means I have created
the terrain for the sim! Now, its a matter of laying the track - the
hard part. Then some scenery (trees, buildings, roads.... ) I am
currently waiting for a new track database to become available before
I lay any rail. (Also waiting to see how MSTS2 will effect things -
available in the fall - maybe.) Before you get your hopes up, the
original section of my Route, Silvis to Layfayette will probably take
a year or more - this is 50+ miles of track and I have a fulltime job
as a DBA. (I used to work for the CRIP, so this is a priority route.)

Point taken that its sometimes difficult to tell what track you are
on in a large yard. (Guess what, prototype has this problem sometimes
too!)

For those of you that want Q equipment http://www.train-
sim.com/login.htm is the place to go. Its Free, no spam mail will
follow. Download what you want FOR FREE!

I think its terrific that folks are interested in vitual railroading.
(I also model in HO, but lately have been bitten by the
computer "bug" - no pun intended!!   :=)

For anyone thinking about trying their hand at route building pickup
Mike Vone's STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR BUILDING ROUTES FOR MSTS. It will
save you a mess of time and frustration.

Will post some screen shots once I've laid some track!

           RJM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM