Re: [BRHSlist] Re: "Burlington" emblem on steam loco tenders

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: "Burlington" emblem on steam loco tenders
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:53:24 -0600
Tom - responses are interspersed to your text -

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:07:08 -0000, captmix wrote
> Hi Marshall,
>
>  Thanks for that info including the graphite on the fire/smoke
> boxes!  That was a question I asked on the Proto 48 site. And I have
> noticed  in old photos that a lot of the Burlington steamers were
> kept in  good shape appearance wise. My engines will have a slight
> gloss to  the boilers and tenders and the drivers and frames plus
> tender  trucks will be dusty/grimy. Perhaps you may recall a Kelly
> Morris  painting article in the NG Gazette where he done his engines
> that  way.
>
>  My old decals are not Walthers as I stated. Must be about 15 years
>  ago I bought a bunch of CHAMP decals for Burlington engines.

GOOD!  The Champ numerals were revised to true CB&Q style some time around
the mid-70s, so you should have the good ones.  Unfortunately, the same
revision reduced the size of the smaller herald, which *had* been just the
right size to trim!  Ya win some, ya lose some!

> After  I  posted I got to thinking Walthers is not right and got out my
> decal  box that I haven't opened in a LONG time and saw the mistake.
>
>  I rechecked the 1927 steam locomotive lettering pages and the
>  information cover sheet mentions red cab roofs but does not
> indicate  a date.

In *clear and well-exposed pics, you can sometimes distinguish the red from
the black cab roofs, (especially in shots taken after the introduction of
panchromatic film (shortly after the end of WW II)and there are a handful of
color pics which show thw black roofs.  My 1947 date (cited in the sets' data
sheets) came from (IIRC) a "Zephyr" Q&A column . . .

>  Interestingly the same info cover sheet says that even though the
>  lettering plan shows "Lignite" to be painted on the tender coal
>  bunker no photos have turned up showing that style. But I have some
>  Otto Perry pics showing just that method. Later the Lignite burning
>  engines had a yellow square painted on the tenders.

You and I must have found the same pic . . . the MS set now includes both
the "LIGNITE" and the square.

>  Thanks again for the added info!

Glad I could help!

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM