Re: Posting of calendar art

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Posting of calendar art
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:10:22 -0500
I don't know anything about copyright law and I am certainly not a lawyer, but I think, in the case of an old calendar, that the line is somewhat gray concerning copyright of such items. Since BNSF's predecessor gave the calendar away in the first place and never expected any direct compensation, I certainly don't see any reason why it can't be posted now without anyone's approval. No monetary gain is being requested and the original intent of the calendar distribution by the Q was for it to be displayed for the purpose of advertisement. Just because it is not 1941, doesn't mean it can't continue to be displayed on a home wall. Posting it on the internet, today, is just another way of displaying it (as originally intended) on an electronic wall that hadn't been thought of in 1941.

The only reason the calendar has value today is because some individual decided to save it. Certainly, neither Q nor BN or BNSF had any part in preserving it and should have no claim or control on any gain that might be there today. Indeed, if Q had any undistributed 1941 calendars left in 1942, they most likely destroyed them (darn). The decedents of Stadivarius have no claim on profits made from the sale of one of his violins today; I think the calendar falls in the same category. I know Pat Haitte and I am sure he has more important things to take care of than making decisions on the non profit use of old predecessor issued calendars.

Bill Barber