Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1689

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1689
From: railbass@a...
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:06:32 +0000
Jonathan -
The F-3As, 350-354, did not have Rushton trailing trucks, as did the heavier F-
3Bs and F-3Cs, 370-375, based on the Q S-3 class - or the USRA type, as
suggested by one lister. The F-3As shared the unusually large trailing truck,
full width and length of the firebox, that was found on the S-1 and S-2
Pacifics, the class R Prairies, and the P-2 through P-5 Atlantics, including
the rebuilt P-3C which became P-6. I am using Bernard Corbin and William
Kerka's Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route and Hol Wagner's The
Colorado Road. I do not recall seeing this type of trailing truck on any
other road's locomotives and wonder if it was unique to the Q system for some
reason. Only these passenger engines had the trucks, as the O-1 Mikados,
built beginning in 1910, had Hodges trailing trucks.

Yes, I am a "rivet counter" and am trying to make this model as accurate as
possible. One other route is to scratchbuild the truck, but I cannot find
plans for the S-2 in Corbin's book, which does have the S-1 and S-3 plans.
Does anyone know of detailed plans for the Q S-2 as built in any publication?
- John Manion
Denver, CO