Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1689

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1689
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:37:20 -0700
John --

I don't know about the Rushton (outside-frame) trailing truck, but I can't
believe somebody doesn't make'em. If not, you should be able to pull one
off a non-brass engine of some sort.

You also may want to replace the drivers (if that's possible). The C&S
F-3As had 69" (vs. the S-2s' 74") drivers. Maybe it's not a big difference
(only 1.5 mm in HO), but if you study the C&S engines, you might decide the
slightly lower drivers do in a subtle way constitute part of the character
of those Pacifics.

Of course if your reason for wanting an F-3A is simply because you're
modeling the C&S or the CB&Q in Colorado, you certainly can get away with
keeping your 4-6-2 an S-2. Otto Perry has lots of pictures of S-1s and S-2s
in and around Denver. I'm sure they ran on the C&S from time to time.

Jonathan

I have recently acquired an LMB S-2 4-6-2, and it is a smooth runner and
relatively quiet, despite the outside-frame motor. My only concern with this
model is that it is equipped with a Delta trailing truck. I would like to
model the C&S Class F-3A series, #350-354, converted to oil burners by 1947
and equipped with the Elesco FWH of the LMB model. The C&S engines retained
the original outside-frame trailing trucks of the S-2s. Is anyone aware of a
model of this trailing truck or parts to make one? Has anyone done this type
of truck and have any advice on how to do it? Thanks for any help on
converting this fine model to a C&S prototype.
- John Manion
Denver, CO