Re: [BRHSlist] Mark Twain Zephyr For Sale -- Inquiry

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Mark Twain Zephyr For Sale -- Inquiry
From: Scott Nauer <scott@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:05:53 -0500
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:09:10AM -0300, A Samostie wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> I'm not a CB&Q fan per se, but a friend of mine brought a situation to
> my attention that I wanted to inquire about.
>
> Apparently most (if not all) of the original Mark Twain Zephyr equipment
> is for sale, including the shovelnose power car (likely sans engine):
>
> http://www.railmerchants.net/marktwain/index.html
>
> Has any thought or effort been given to restoring this equipment, either
> by BRHS or other groups? Has it been available for some time, or just
> recently? Is the asking price beyond the realm of possibility?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan Samostie
> <quahog at sprint.ca>
> ELHS #3178

Alan,

I do know that in the past IRM has been interested in the train however the
owner wasn't willing to negotiate too much (from what I understanad, there is
a very long story about the details of which I've only heard a few). I'm
sure we would take it if donated still. (Of course you would see a begging
letter here in order to cover costs of moving the train ;) )

The biggest problem is that during its travels everyone keeps taking parts off
of it so that now it is a shell. Last I heard the Winton had been removed
from the power car. Restoring this train at this point would cost a *VERY*
substantial amount of money.

Also, it's been forsale for atleast a couple of years now...

scott

--
Scott Nauer-- http://www.nauer.org
Volunteer IRM Diesel Dept.-- http://www.irm.org/dieseldept