Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:04:53 -0800 (PST)
55 Lb.= 1 bushel of coal. The oldtime retail yards in
the big cities sold coal by the bushel. They weighed
it and converted the weight into bushels. It was just
like they do at grain elevators. The coal was not sold
in baskets, like apples. Yes, coal was sold on a brand
name basis, and it certainly was not all the
same,(read more about this in BB#35). The only bagged
coal was eastern coal of a very high quality. It was
known in the trade as "smithing coal", because it was
once used in blacksmith forges.
John D. Mitchell, Jr.
--- Myron & Lois Dudenbostel <myroloi@e...>