Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:45:25 -0600
Ralph,

There was a Masonic Children Home on 47th Street in La Grange.
As was the practice with most large, older buildings they had a
detached steam plant for heat. The small building was right along
the street that ran along the IHB tracks. Originally there had been
a industry track there that ran up and over a concrete foundation
with an opening in the center. It was quite obvious that they
unloaded the coal into wheeled carts and pushed it across the
street to burn in their steam boilers. At least in the mid 60's the
concrete structure was still there and there was rail of about
two foot gauge crossing the street.

Russ