Re: [BRHSlist] E-5 Stainless Steel Panels

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] E-5 Stainless Steel Panels
From: railbass@a...
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:50:04 +0000
John Lewis -
I bought the corugation several years ago from Union Station from their
catalog that I got with another order. They had a generic set of panels to be
used on an individual car or locomotive. Now I have another question from the
response that I got from "Charlie Vlk" saying that the stainless steel was
only on the Metalwood Panels (stainless steel faced plywood) that formed the
sides. The photos on PP. 70 and 71 in Holck's Burlington Route Vol. 1 appear
as if the stainless steel covered the entire side from above the skirts to the
roof, including the name panel above the windows, and the entire nose except
for the pilot. How much of the body was covered in stainless steel? He also
mentioned that the F-3s never got stainless steel because they were converted
to freight service by the time that many E units were retrofitted. I am
modeling late 40s and early 50s. When did the E-5s get fitted with stainless
steel? Holck's photos are dated 1956-58, which is beyond my period.
- John Manion
Denver, CO