Re: [BRHSlist] E-5 Stainless Steel Panels

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] E-5 Stainless Steel Panels
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:50:09 -0600
The E-5 conversion will be a major project in that the side windows have to
be lowered for the "letterboard" which separates them from the vent grilles
at the top of the carbody. I think the windows are shorter than the normal
size but haven't been able to get out to Union to do the measurements.
Maybe when the weather gets warmer.
I have never seen any evidence that the passenger F3s got stainless side
panels. I think they were headed to freight service by the time that
program got underway (many of the E units were retrofited).
Bare metal foil ought to work well for simulating the panels; remember that
the battens were painted stainless (I think they were, at least); only the
Metalwood Panels (stainless steel faced plywood) that formed the sides were
stainless.
Cutting and applying the foil to the exact insides of the battens should be
fun, even in HO!
Charlie