Re: [BRHSlist] Historic Freight Car Info

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Historic Freight Car Info
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:56:02 -0600
The Newberry Library has some files that outline the history of a "gas pipe"
box car first leased for testing then later bought by the Burlington.
The files are wonderful... the Master Mechanic at Aurora was very skeptical
about these cars.... and woudn't you know it, one of them got involved in a
wreck on the C&I, and came back to Aurora in pieces. The MM wrote to HQ
saying "how the hell do I fix this car??", pleaded for the inventor to come
out and give consul, etc.. this went on for months, finally the MM reported
he stripped the carcass of all usable parts and put them on a good oak frame
car that can be repaired when it gets damaged.
Charlie