Re: Historic Freight Car Info

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Historic Freight Car Info
From: "lesgilpin <l.gilpin@b...>" <l.gilpin@b...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:37:05 -0000
Thanks guys!

It was the Furness Railway cars I was interested in (and White
got it wrong the FR was in England). Glad to here the Q had
some too.

Thanks also for info on the Schoen cars.

My copy of White is on order with Amazon as I type!

Les Gilpin
Miskin
Wales
UK

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, Ken Martin <kmartin@c...>
wrote:
> If you can get a copy of John White's "The American RR Freight
Car" pgs
> 572-580 he writes about LaMothe and the Huntingdon car
works. There are
> also "engravings" of several cars including two gons built for
the
> Furness Railway in Scotland.
>
> In brief: In the 1860's Bernard J. La Mothe developed the idea
of using
> iron pipe to build RR cars. In the 1870's the National Tube
Works
> started building pipe cars and they were sold to several
railroads. Many
> were sold to leasing companies primarily the Southern Iron
Car Co. In
> 1890 the Southern was seized by crediters including the
Huntingdon Car
> Co. which had built many, however refinancing failed and
concept of pipe
> cars died. However thousands had been built and they lasted
till about
> 1900. Problems with the pipes coming loose and problems
installing
> automtic couplers and air brakes led them to be scrapped
rather than
> rebuilt. The other problem was having a wood car carpenter
work on an
> iron car when he had neither the tools or training as Charlie
saidk.
> Some were also built for the Southern Pacific narrow gauge
and the
> Denver, South Park and Pacific, predecesser to the CB&Q
owned C&S
> (mandantory CB&Q content 8^). In recent years remains of two
ex-SP cars
> have been found in the Nevada desert and are at the Nevada
RR Museum in