Re: [BRHSlist] Chucking your rights/Drones

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chucking your rights/Drones
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:02:25 EST
Leo

I have enjoyed immensely your summary dissertations re the BRT files...keep
up the good work.

As to "chucking your rights"...I remember that there were a few old brakemen
on the Lincoln and Wymore divisions who had given up their conductors rights
for one reason or another...I don't know whether they just turned down
promotion or gave up the conductor's rights later for some reason or were
perhaps demoted.

I knew a couple of firemen who were in the same category.

I understood that later you couldn't do this, or I think that in some cases
you could but you were always the junior man as to seniority...I'm not sure
how that would work either re reduction in force.

Most of the old brakemen who had given up their rights worked with conductors
of the same vintage on through freight...I worked with one pair a couple of
times and the rear man never came out of the waycar....I've got a little
story about a trip with these guys which I'll put on here soon...It's about
setting out a car of stock and flagging...I've got my "story file" here at
the computer now and if I don't get it on soon someone ;has permission to
prod me for it.

Also seems like there were some guys here on the Lincoln Division who were
working as Train Baggagemen who would have been "old" enough to be
conductors...I never really understood how that worked. I never knew any of
these guys nor was ever called for one of these jobs.

Pete