Re: [BRHSlist] Rule G

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Rule G
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:17:17 EST
Leo et al

Speaking from a somewhat limited perspective it seems that it was pretty
standard that a Rule G violation was automatic dismissal, but the protocol
was that the guy would be put back after one year off unless there were other
circumstances involved...Seems like also that a couple more chances were
allowed and then it was permanent.

The rule against stealing (can't think of the letter now) was automatic
dismissal with little hope for getting back...There was a real old head
conductor, I remember his name, but won't quote it here, on the Wymore
division who caught caught pocketing the cash fares...this was in 1958...The
guy was probably in his 60's then, and had been under surveillance for some
time and was finally caught by "one of them white rats out of Chicago"...the
general concensus was that he was done forever.

The matter of "stealing time"...falisfying a timeslip was also dealt with
pretty severly as I recall...although this didn't restrict the somewhat less
than restricted speed that engines moved at while going from their train to
the roundhouse at the Lincoln yard.
I remember a particular instance...think it was the first year I worked
(1956)...we had come down from Hastings in record time (1:50 minutes) and the
engineer was in a hurry to get to a wedding that Saturday afternoon...We made
record time over the rundown and down the running track to the house...When
we stopped we were a long ways from being able to claim the terminal
hour...The engineer said to me: "Sorry I couldn't get the hour for ya kid,
but I was in a hurry...maybe I can make it up to you sometime"...

Pete