RE: [BRHSlist] Albia, Hiteman and points north

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Albia, Hiteman and points north
From: "Stephen Craven" <scraven@a...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:36:53 -0600

Yes, I looked a the bottom of the map where it said Appanoose and wrote that
instead of the county I was looking at.

> I think the only "new" track that got built because of
> > Red Rock dam was between Knoxville and Des Moines.
>

> Back to the "new" rouing, as I recall from the motor car trip, we
> departed Des Moines on the NS/Wabash and ran through Runnels. If
> there was any new construction from Des Moines to Runnels, I do
> not recall it. East of Runnels we diverted on the new track to
> the south and crossed to the south side of the Des Moines river on
> a high bridge and fill. We worked away from the River and then
> picked up the old Q and continued on it to the Tracy area. Thus,
> the only "new" construction I recall is from the Runnels area,
> over the DM River and back on to the Q.

I believe there is also some new track just west of Knoxville, around the
crossing of Whitebreast creek. A 1957 track chart shows the siding a
Donnelly on the south side of the track, and the 1993 chart shows it on the
north side. I think Donnelly also moved a mile or two south of where it
was.

> > Can anyone help me? When was the Des Moines branch
> > built, and could there have been a major relocation of
> > that branch through Albia during the 20s or 30s?

I believe that the construction was started from Albia in 1871 and Des
Moines was reached in 1880. As we have indicated I don't think any major
relocation occurred until Red Rock dam was built, and those changes were all
north of Harvey.

Stephen