Re: New HO models

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: New HO models
From: "thommack <mack@c...>" <mack@c...>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:04:31 -0000
I always thought unnumbered units would be a great idea, but have
changed my mind lately. I agree that the E's would be very easy to
renumber. Even the P2K locomotives are very easy to renumber. I have
a P2K GP30 numbered 948 (redone from 949) and Red SD7 number 313
(redone from 316) that I renumbered in less than 30 minutes each. For
948 I was able to do the renumbering with decals only. The 313
required a little toothpaste to remove part of the number under the
cab and a fine line Sharpie marker to blacken in part of the "6" in
the numberboards. Finalized with decals. The Microscale set works
perfect. Friends who are very detail conscious who see the units all
remark that if I didn't tell them about the renumbering they never
would have known. I'm thinking about renumbering a Stewart U25B next.

On the other hand, renumbering my numbered Kato C&S/CB&Q SD40 (I
didn't like the quality of the painted numbers plus you have to do
the numberboards yourself) and numbering my unnumbered Atlas GP40
(into the 600 series) was both quite a bit of work. The results
looked nice, but doing the numberboards is a bit tricky. I wouldn't
want to even think about trying an unnumbered Stewart VO1000 with
those tiny numberboards!!!

BTW, Icouldn't seem to find any pictures of E's in black stripes in
the late 60's. Can anyone point me to a picture or number? (Maybe a
project similar to the repaint list of the GP7/9's and SD7/9's would
be good for the E's - last known Black stripe picture, earliest known
Red stripe picture).

Tom Mack