Re: [BRHSlist] RE: American Royal Zephyr

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: American Royal Zephyr
From: "Norm_Andersen" <Norm_Andersen@m...>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:56:53 -0500
Hello Chris and List,

Unfortunately I am missing the public timetables between February, 1962 and
October, 1962 but 55 and 56, the American Royal Zephyrs changed considerably
between these dates.

They were consolidated with 3 and 30 between Chicago and West Quincy.
Immediately before "The Big Change" they carried a Vista Dome coach, flattop
coach and 10-6 sleeper between Chicago and Kansas City. There was a
diner-lounge between Chiacgo and Galesburg and between Brookfield and Kansas
City. Between Chicago and St. Joe there was a through 6-6-4 sleeper. Coach
passengers had to change at Brookfield. They rode in a "vintage" cafe-coach. As
I remember the cafe end had a counter with either 4, 5 or 6 stools and there
was a booth for 4. It was a 1-man operation and the ride on 355 or 356 between
Brookfield was bucolic indeed with 12 or 13 scheduled, conditional and flag
stops in the 102 miles.

Headend cars? There would have been an RPO to Kansas City but I don't know if
it was 15', 30' or 60'. I doubt if it was a full RPO so the rest of the space
in the car would have been for baggage, any express and company mail.

After "The Big Change" 355 and 356 were gone. Direct Chicago/St. Joe service
was therefore gone. The diner lounge on the Kansas City end was gone. The
sleeper still went to St. Joe via Kansas City and connecting trains 27 and 26
between Kansas City and St. Joe. By the May '63 timetable the diner-lounge
between Chicago and West Quincy had been cut back to Galesburg. By the May '64
timetable the 10-6 sleeper operated between Chicago and Kansas City only.

The Q did their best with this service as long as they could but let's face it,
the Santa Fe had the lion's share of the business and the Kansas City and
American Royal Zephyrs did more intermediate business than through
Chicago/Kansas City business.

Norm Andersen