Re: CB&Q Line from Old Monroe to Mexico Missouri

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: CB&Q Line from Old Monroe to Mexico Missouri
From: "meyerjd10" <jmeyer10@h...>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:42:52 -0000
Where exactly is MP 77.66 on the line? Near any city? Is it
accessible, and what creek/river etc. does it cross, what type of
bridge was it? Girder, timber, trestle, etc.? Any more info on this
line would be really helpful, thanks to all who have responded, it is
much more than I've expected. I'm a brand new member, and you've
really helped me out. I'm the owner of the yahoo group
StLouisRailroadInfo, and anyone from this group is encouraged to
join, we have a large photo section of past and present rail shots.
Please feel free to join. Thanks - Jeff Meyer

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Haydens" <kliner@s...> wrote:
> List, Although the bridge east of Moscow was a long one, the most
> impressive was the high trestle at MP 77.66. Sometime around 1965
a train
> went in the bighole(emergency) while crossing this trestle. The
head
> brakeman went back to check things out and found a car that was
burning from
> an over heated journal in the middle of the bridge. He pulled the
pin on
> the burning car and turned to signal the engineer to go ahead and
pull the
> car off of the bridge. Lo and behold, the engineer was standing
right
> beside him. Needless to say before he could get back into the
engine the
> bridge had caught fire and it burned down. The High line was out
of service
> for a long time. Another story was told of the engineer who had
purchased a
> very expensive pair of leather gloves. Sometime during the trip he
noticed
> that he had lost one of his gloves. He was so mad, he threw his
remaining
> glove off the top of the same trestle into the creek below. Later
that
> morning while the crew was waiting in the Old Monroe depot for
orders or to
> meet a train, the track rider came in with a brand new glove he
had found
> at Francis and asked if anyone had lost it. I remember Moscow had
the
> longest siding, but I remember clearing up at Wellsville, Haig, and
Hawk
> Point when we were short. In the mid 60's Moscow, Hawk Point, and
> Wellsville all had open stations. Any other questions you might
have, I'll
> try to answer or ask some old heads that are on the pension.

will
> > > help. I'm thinking of modeling it in the fall of 1969.
> > >

> > Mike Spoor's CB&Q in color volume 3 has pictures of freight trains
> > moving through Mexico in the 1960's. Robert Brown's books on
Missouri
> > depots have pictures of most of the depots on the line. By 1969,
they
> > would have been boarded up and abandoned. Brown's book has a
picture of
> > the Francis depot in this state in 1963.
> >
> > In regards to the trestle, the track charts I have from the mid
60's
> > show no such bridge near Wellsville. The only substantial bridge
shown
> > is east of Moscow crossing the Cuivre River (about a 600 foot
span).

> > By 1969, this line was a shadow of it's former self. This portion
of the
> > Q was called the Twenty-Third Subdivision - Branch Line. The only
siding
> > was a 23 car siding at Wellsville. One train was scheduled each
way per
> > day. The only open office/station was Old Monroe during the day.
> >
> > In the late 1950's, the name was Old Monroe and Francis -
Subdivision.
> > Three trains a day were scheduled each way including a doodlebug
turn
> > Old Monroe to Mexico (123/124). A 50 car siding was at Moscow, a
29 car
> > siding at Wellsville, 26 car siding at Haig, and a 13 car siding
at
> > Francis. Open offices/stations were Old Monroe (continuous),
Moscow (M-F