Re: [BRHSlist] More Questions for Old Monroe LIne and CB&Q adventures

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] More Questions for Old Monroe LIne and CB&Q adventures
From: "Haydens" <kliner@s...>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:52:34 -0600
Jeff, I believe you were a little short of the mark. You can't miss it as
the depth of the ravine will identify it for you. When you find it, walk
about 500 yards north of the site and look for the wrecked cars west of the
creek. The line was built in 1904, and was not signaled. There were
distant signals at each end at Old Monroe and Francis. They were in the
upper quadrant which signified an approach to an absolute signal. By the
mid 60's they were never lit, but had a semaphore blade. Gary was correct
on the Hiway bridges, and your power sounds correct for the small locals.
We did run some long trains also as the Kansas City to East St Louis trains
were very hot. There was one each way daily, so we had two assigned crews
holding these jobs. Because we ran over some tracks from Alton to East St
Louis that was Beardstown territory, they would get one of the assigned
jobs for a couple of months to run out the miles. These larger trains would
usually have about 3 motors. The double track at St Louis was made single
around 1960. I'm sure the RR still regrets that change. As for the bridge
at Moscow, I don't know alot about types, but it had no over head
structures. I'll ask some old B&B men.