Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Line from Old Monroe to Mexico Missouri

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Line from Old Monroe to Mexico Missouri
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@a...>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:31:15 -0600
meyerjd10 wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on this line? What was its official name? Where were passing sidings? I heard there was a
huge
steel trestle near Wellsville, anyone know where it was exactly?
If
anyone has photos or a timetable from this line, please let me
know. Any other history of the line, trains ran, stories, etc. will help. I'm thinking of modeling it in the fall of 1969.

Mike Spoor's CB&Q in color volume 3 has pictures of freight trains moving through Mexico in the 1960's. Robert Brown's books on Missouri depots have pictures of most of the depots on the line. By 1969, they would have been boarded up and abandoned. Brown's book has a picture of the Francis depot in this state in 1963.

In regards to the trestle, the track charts I have from the mid 60's show no such bridge near Wellsville. The only substantial bridge shown is east of Moscow crossing the Cuivre River (about a 600 foot span).

By 1969, this line was a shadow of it's former self. This portion of the Q was called the Twenty-Third Subdivision - Branch Line. The only siding was a 23 car siding at Wellsville. One train was scheduled each way per day. The only open office/station was Old Monroe during the day.

In the late 1950's, the name was Old Monroe and Francis - Subdivision. Three trains a day were scheduled each way including a doodlebug turn Old Monroe to Mexico (123/124). A 50 car siding was at Moscow, a 29 car siding at Wellsville, 26 car siding at Haig, and a 13 car siding at Francis. Open offices/stations were Old Monroe (continuous), Moscow (M-F days), Hawk Point (M-F days), Liege (M-F days), Wellsville (M-F days), and Francis (16 hours a day).

According the 1964 track charts I have, the line was laid with mainly 90 lb rail on cinder ballast between 1927 and 1938. 110 lb rail was laid between Francis and approximately MP 94.6 in 1951. The last major roadbed work on portions of the line was done in 1956.

Bill