Q gon identification help

To: BRHS list <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Q gon identification help
From: Eric Mumper <eric_mumper@m...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:20:07 -0500
Sender: ericm
List,
On one of my trips back to Illinois, I stopped by the Streatorland
Historical Society museum (a neat little place for all those who stopped
by during the Spring meet) and found a stack of professional photos
taken at the Anthony Company. This company made dump truck bodies and
lifts at their Streator plant. Two of the photos are extremely
interesting because they show the trucks being circus loaded into Q mill
gons - one photo outside and one inside the building. The photos had no
dates although I can put an end date on them since the only Q car with a
visible number is an XA-8 which according to equipment registers were
rebuilt and renumbered by 1952. I will try to post them if I can get
them scanned since the type of truck will help with dating.
Long story short, my question has to do with the Q mill gons. The cars
are of composite construction and look very similar to the USRA drop
bottom gons with 9 panels - the center one without an angle section. No
numbers are even remotely visible, but the shot inside the building
clearly shows the drop end. Does anyone know what class of car these
were and/or have any picture reference to them?
Does anyone out there remember this company and switching it in
Streator?

Thanks,
Eric Mumper