Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Chicago commuter question

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Chicago commuter question
From: "Norm_Andersen" <Norm_Andersen@m...>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:57:36 -0400
And that was railroading RC, wow!

Norm
----- Original Message -----
From: amtrak347@a...
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 3:49 AM

In a message dated 8/5/02 11:56:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
Norm_Andersen@m... writes:

> banged across the crossing at Eola at 100+

In 1971, I was a fireman with a Chicago Division engineer on an early evening
eastbound dinky (3 DD + 1 PC + an "E" unit). Since it was my "turn" to run,
I made a comment to my engineer about how fast a dinky could go and his
response was let's find out! "Short whistled" River Road as the gear-driven
Barco really howled as it indicated 107 MPH. Made a full service (90 psi)
straight air brake application at the bridge over the West Branch of the
DuPage River - lots of sparks, fire and smoke - as we passed by the
Naperville platform AND passengers - perfectly spotting the rear vestibule of
the rear car in the middle of Loomis Street. When the rear collector
realized where we were, he gave me a back-up signal and we backed to the
Naperville platform, boarded our passengers, then waited about a minute or so
for an "On Time" departure. Just another uneventful trip.
RC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor