Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Chicago commuter question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Chicago commuter question
From: Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:18:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, Mike.

> Does anyone else have memory or stories where the
> bilevels were used outside of Chicago-Aurora
ervice?
> Please post your replies to the List.
>
> Thanks. Mike.

I have an excellent memory of such a case. I used to
travel back and forth between my home town of Albia,
Iowa, and Fairfield, Iowa, where I attended Parswons
College, on the Q, generally on the Nebraska Zephyr.
As you all may know, the Nebraska Zephyr was one of
the
early articulated streamliners, which meant that if
one
car needed service, the entire train was sent to the
shop.

In May, 1964, I took the NZ home to Albia for the
weekend. Apparently the articulated train was in the
shop, because the NZ consist was high-level commuter
cars. I don't remember any kind of food service car
in
the consist -- only the bilevels. I doubt that this
happened very often, for on the following Sunday when
went back to Fairfield, the NZ had "normal" passenger
equipment.

Bill Chambers