Yates City-Canton-Lewiston

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Yates City-Canton-Lewiston
From: "kujawa's" <ark@b...>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:38:30 -0700
Hi Jeff:

Depots still stand at Yates City, along with caboose
Canton, along with engine,
Lewistown,a museum (Narrow Gauge) with caboose
Lewistown (ex Q)

Lewistown was also a base to some of the strip mines on branches to Cuba,
Fairview, and Dunfirmline. A branch to the Illinois river left just north of
Lewistown to Liverpool. Also the Midland Electric coal company had a line
from their mine and the Q at Dunfirmline to the Illinois River also near
Liverpool. The Central Illinois Light Co. CILCO had a branch from Lewistown
east a couple miles to their plant. Old topo maps and aerial photos are
available at: www.terrasever.com

Please keep us updated on you book. Think about the Spoon River Drive in
the Fall. Quite a few railroaders are found at the depots. Another depot
is in the park.(away from the railroad) in Avon. Restored and a museum.

Yates City was a hub for crews also. Line up to Buda through Elmwood to the
coal mines ran till the 80's. Q depot in Wyoming is now a museum.

Roger Kujawa - Morton, Il. ark@b...

President - Atlantic & Great Western Railway

See the AGW on line at :

http://www.geocities.com/agw_railway/