Re: [BRHSlist] Yates City-Canton-Lewiston

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Yates City-Canton-Lewiston
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 23:10:38 -0500
Jeff,

As I recall it there was a coal tipple right along the
Canton-Lewisville line at Dunfermline.

The wye and industry track is just North of Dunfermline.
Coal mine was Union Electric Coal, now abandonded.
Scrap yard in the mine shop area was called Hitchcock
Iron & Metal. Scrapped some BN locomotives and hundreds
of freight cars there in the early 80's.

Central Illinois Light plant at Duck Creek is on same line.
They have a 110ton GE, bought new. Got a photo of it posted
somewhere. Get some Southern Illinois or Indiana coal loaded
on CSXT or NS and in the past have gotten Utah, Colorado, &
Wyoming coal. BNSF comes in from the Vermont end, usually
with the loading road's power.

BTW, the Elmwood to Buda line was cut back about 10 miles
South of Buda with the only access from the Elmwood end.
There was some thought in BN Management that the traffic
interchanged with the RI at Galva could be turned the other
way. A couple of miles of heavy ribbon rail were laid on
the North end of the stubbed branch. Only logic to this was
if the mine people thought about connecting to the East they
could go over there and see good rail. Nothing ever came
of it.

The VLBG