Re: [BRHSlist] Last years of the F's

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Last years of the F's
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@i...>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:01:37 -0500
Gordon,

To the best of my knowledge all NP F9A's and most NP FT through F7 A's
had nose MU. The GN fleet was also pretty well complete. The CB&Q
avoided nose MU on F's and the only reason I can think of was the 6-BLQ
brake schedule that was designed for their dual control roadswitchers.

What made the merger even more difficult was the GN's use of 6-BLC-1.
That schedule was not compatible either. As of 01-Jan-72 the only
CB&Q early roadswitchers, (and converted TR2AB's) that had been
converted were the BN 1956-1965 (CB&Q 271-280). They were 6-BLC-2
and would work with 6-BLC-1. This was probably part of the Sioux City
problem where the CB&Q/GN interface seemed to be the most difficult.

The BN had the same 26-L and 6-BLQ interface as you describe on the
EL with the MU-2-A valve restriction but it only applied to 6-BLQ units.
The various GN & SP&S schedules did not have that hose setup.

Whatever, those days are long gone. I think Railfans probably worry
about short time ratings more than the Railroads do. There is a long
grade and bad track South out of Wishram on the Oregon Trunk. The
timetable speed restriction is the same as the short time rating of the
SD40-2 and the Pumpkins have no problem with that. Problem is that
the timetable speed is below the short time ratings of the now departed
LMX's and the still present 4-axle red noses. There are no instructions
that I know of that have ever been issued to keep these units off that line
but it just doesn't seem to be an issue. (That was pointed out to me by
a power planner before they got rid of half those jobs.)

That's life in the big city; and, even down here on the Rural Route,

Russ