Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7 more questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7 more questions
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:20:37 EST
In a message dated 2/21/02 9:25:08 PM Central Standard Time, VLBG@s...
writes:

> . If there was any manual
> control in the cab for that light I sure do not recall it but I wasn't an
> Engineer either.

On E-8/9's the circuit breaker for the Mars light was on the fireman's side
of the # 1 electrical cabinet. When this switch was closed (up position)
immediately the red oscillating light came on. To turn off the red light, a
reset button was located on the engineer's side of the Mars light mechanism
in the nose of the unit. To manually control both the white and red
oscillating lights, a switch box was located on the cab ceiling above the
engineer's head and to his right. The switch box had three controls on it:
1) selector switch, labeled RED or WHITE, 2) a toggle switch labeled INCH or
MOTOR, and 3) a pistol grip dimmer switch, OFF-LOW-HIGH.

Anytime the train brakes were applied in an emergency application, the red
light came on automatically, provided the circuit breaker to the system was
closed. It oscillated (figure "8") if the toggle switch was in the "motor"
position; purpose being, to "immediately" provide head end protection in the
event of an emergency brake application on the train; it did not relieve the
crew from providing required flag protection (fusees, torpedoes at the proper
distance to the front of the train).

Another feature of the Mars light was in the event of a main (stationary)
headlight (dual sealed beam bulbs burning-out simultaneously?) failure, the
Mars light could be put in a "fixed" position down the track by using the
"INCH" position of the toggle switch mentioned above. As I recall, the
toggle switch was a three position switch with center-off, spring-loaded to
the INCH position and "on" to the MOTOR position.

By the time I hired-out, dinkies did not use the Mars white light but through
passenger trains did, their entire run at night (sunset to sunrise). Not
sure, but I believe the use of the Mars light was required at night only.

I believe the early models of Mars lights had two electric motors to move the
light in both vertical and horizontal planes, where later models had just one
motor to do the same thing. In either case, when in operation, they made an
irritating, grinding noise. Also, there was a screw adjustment on the bulb
mounting plate that facilitated the changing of the bulbs and could set the
pitch of the Mars light from high up in the trees or down low on the track.

This is probably more than anyone wants to know about a "Q" Mars light.
Sorry.

Bob Campbell