Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7 more questions

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7 more questions
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:52:04 -0700
Scott,

I believe the Red lights on the 'F' units in real life- came on when the
train went into emergency or could be activated on the trailing unit during
a 'light' engine movement when a caboose was not utilized or lighted when
coupled to a train in the yard, pumping up air as a safety measure. I
remember seeing passenger units pull into the station and after stopping-
the Red Mars light would come on until the train started to move again. For
some reason- the Ph IV F-3's only had a Red light in the upper housing with
a single Clear light in the lower housing. Photos of other F-3's and F-7's
show a Clear AND Red light in the upper housing with a single Clear light in
the lower housing. This indicates a Mars light in the upper housing on the
other F's, but makes me wonder about the Red light 'only' on the Ph IV
F-3's. Were Mars lights added after delivery? Burlington Bulletin #4
(Graybacks) has head-on shots of the F's and you can easily see the
difference between the various phases of units. Someone else is going to
have to take this question to the end as I don't know the answer to it.

John Olson
Billings, Mt.