Re: Flatlanders???

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Flatlanders???
From: "sarge9usa" <sarge9@f...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:35:31 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., "VLBG" <VLBG@s...> wrote:
> How true, Leo.
>
> I recall an early evening in '65 or '66 when the Congo was still a
> day job and using Downers Grove for overflow was not a regular
> move. For some reason it was decided to take about 35 or 40
> cars out there. Went along for the ride. At the crossing in
Clarendon
> Hills the NW2 was up to about 20. By the time most of the train was
> on the curve forward motion had ceased with the trusty 567 roaring
> away. Can't remember if it was Archie Keith that day but whomever
> the Engineer was opened the inspection plate on the Main Generator.
> Lots of shiny wire in there but most of it was in pieces 8 or 10
inches
> long. Probably would have worked pretty good as that "Chaff" stuff
> to fool a radar screen.
>
> Time to go back to the Roundhouse for another engine.
>
> Flatlands indeed!
All,
I can tell you that the steepest grade on the Q was the hill going
east out of Sheridan, WY that is the reason that the Mallets were
produced and first sent to Sheridan, WY. They were later sent to the
Black Hills as they had more steep grades than the lonely hill going
out of Sheridan, but both of these are in the west. As John said we
here in the west consider anything east of the Black Hills
flatlanders. Butwe are all Q lovers and remain united by that fact.
Harold Huber
Sheridan, WY

> Russ

Or how
> about
> > spending an hour grinding up Burke Hill eastbound out of Savanna
in which
> you
> > could easily crawl up it faster? Or if thats too dramatic how
about
> doubling
> > the train over Ohio or Walnut,South Ottawa or
> > Wedron/Serena,Lee,Hazelhust,Oregon,Stratford,Fox,Oswego or even
Westmont?