Mars Light Location(s) and other stuff

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Mars Light Location(s) and other stuff
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:54:34 EST
UPS just delivered my long awaited copy of Burlington in Transition.

Page 50 shows front and rear views of Pioneer, Twin Cities, Nebraska, Silver
Streak, Denver and General Pershing Zephyrs. Mars light locations are
clearly visible in all views.

Shovel nose units on PZ and TCZ clearly shows the red Mars light inside the
upper light (the part that oscillates) casing. 9964 shows twin (vertical
mounted) lights inside the stationary portion of the lower light in the nose
and red and white oscillating lights inside the upper light.

PZ rear view shows red light in the lower casing and white in the upper, TCZ
is hard to tell since lower light appears to be illuminated, NZ shows lower
light is red and white above, SSZ shows white above and red below, DZ white
above and red below, GPZ white above and red below. Vista Dome obs n TCZ
shows a single light casing with red light(oscillating) inside. Vista Dome
DZ shows single light casing in square end obs with red oscillating light
inside, Vista Dome CZ shows single casing with red oscillating light inside.

Seems that this should be final word on the subject.

Also regarding the recent postings re "Head end cars to a branch line" and my
comments re baggage cars for Nursery Stock loading at Shenandoah on the Red
Oak Hamburg branch. Page 163 top view shows center cab 9104 descending hill
from the main line at Red Oak heading for Shenandoah with 10 cars including
two baggage cars, undoubtedly for Shenandoah, just ahead of the converted
motorcar waycar. Picture is dated April 4, 1942. this would have been peak
season for nursery stock shipping. If memory serves correctly this photo was
featured in a BRHS calendar a few years ago.

I just noted a couple of very minor errors in the book. Photo of SW1000 9313
caption refers to a "normally operated V-8 engine"....think "operated"
should be "aspirated". Page 102 center photo refers to "fan trip stopped
at Savannah, MO." Actually it's Maryville, MO. Train has left the depot and
is approaching the Hwy 136 crossing south of the depot.

BTW top photo on Page 102 shows 637 with fan trip near Bloomfield, IA, August
6, 1955. I was on this train along with C.E. Able, whom some of you may
remember. We had driven all night from Lincoln, and saw we couldn't make it
all the way to Ft. Madison to catch the trip at its beginning. We stopped at
Donnelson and boarded there. Anybody else on or remember that trip??

Burlington in Transition is a great book. Looks like originally published in
1967 and just republished by MP 206 Publishing...if you don't have it ...get
it.

Pete Hedgpeth