Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists
From: Brad Slaney <bradslaney@w...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:26:12 -0800
From: "ed_de_rouin" <PIXELS@A...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 6:07 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists

> Scott:
>
> What an interesting question! I don't know which ten cars you
> purchased, but here is a simple answer. One could write a book
> about the consist history of those trains.
>
> Baggage Buffet
> four Dome Chair cars
> Diner
> flat top Parlor
> Dome Observation
>
> That is eight cars. The flat top (Without Dome) parlor cars did not
> operate for long. Off the top of my head, I do not believe an RPO
> operated on those trains. Definitely not on eith morning
> schedule, nor the northbound afternoon train. A CB&Q stainless
> steel RPO went north on the North Coast from Chicago, but I am
> not certain with some digging, of on which train it returned.
>
> Sounds like you bought an amplified consist.
>
> Ed DeRouin
>

> --- In BRHSlist@y..., "Scott Stearns" <scott_b_stearns@h...>
> wrote:
> > I recently purchased the 10 car consist of the Twin City Zephyr
> in brass. I
> > am trying to find a listing of the consists of the Morning and
> Afternoon
> > Zephyrs in the 10 car configuration. I need to find both the car
> names and
> > their locations on the trains.
> >
> > Would you happen to know where I could get this information?
> Any help you
> > could provide would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks, in advance for your help!

Ed,

You have it right on the head with the exception of the flat top Parlor. It
was used for special groups primarily. I don't recall it ever being used in
the regular consist. Also one of the domes was Silver Dome in one set and
Silver Castle in the other set. This was the consist from 1957 to 1961,
that I recall. I have many miles on the TCZ from 1957 to 1963.

One of the best rides on the TCZ was taking #24 out of St Paul to Chicago
during May. The leaves were out by then, the sunset along the river and the
Mars light sweeping the darkness. Many times I spent all 427 miles in the
front right seat of the dome. God, I miss that ride.

BRAD